Many companies and individuals looking for a software solution often end up going to freelancing websites like Upwork and Fiverr. Whether it is a website, mobile app, Augmented reality, mobile game or IoT, some basic development principles apply. If correctly done, the freelancing websites can be a real resource but for most these experiences leave a bad taste in the mouth. Here are some basics that you should pay attention to when you go out and seek out a freelancer or a software company
- Past Customers and reviews: It matters who your future solution partner has worked with in the past. Working with variety of companies and doing it well not only brings experience but also brings credibility for being able to successfully delivering.
- Location, location location: When a freelancer is located in a country that is not liable for any loss, you might end up losing both time and money in the process of getting something done.
- Project Management expertise, quality and processes: Pay attention to what is in the proposal, do they talk about process, project management tools and how they will ensure delivering quality deliverables.
- The Human angle or Chemistry: At the end of the day, you will be working with humans. Make sure some chemistry exists and that you are able to effectively communicate.
- Price Quote: Most project owners tend to go with the lowest bids and end up paying more as the project scales or lacks in quality deliveries. Make sure you have set a realistic budget and plan on spending it for the right company or freelancer.